In the third tranche of reform, the Commonwealth should instigate a refresh of intergovernmental cooperation and coordination to facilitate collaboration with the States and Territories, including:
- greater consistency and harmonisation of environmental laws
- finalising a single national list of protected matters to facilitate streamlining under the common assessment method
- a shared future program of regional planning and strategic national plans
- leveraging Commonwealth reforms in data and information
- consolidating monitoring and reporting on environmental outcomes across Australia through the State of the Environment report and other reporting.