The Commonwealth should build, maintain and improve an efficient environmental information supply chain to deliver the best available evidence to improve the effectiveness of the EPBC Act. Aligned with the second tranche of reform, the supply chain should:
- have a clearly assigned Custodian responsible for providing long-term stewardship and coordination
- have a legal foundation with provisions in the Act that details responsibilities, governance, National Environmental Information Assets and reporting to ensure accountability
- be underpinned by a long-term strategy and roadmap prepared and maintained by the Custodian, with the first strategy due within 12 months
- be supported by a coordinated effort to improve national ecosystem and predictive modelling capabilities
- have adequate up-front and ongoing funding.