In the second tranche of reform, the EPBC Act should be amended to remove outdated bilateral agreement processes and replaced with robust and efficient accreditation processes, based on National Environmental Standards, that include:
- self-assessment of arrangements by the party proposing to be accredited
- independent advice of the Environment Assurance Commissioner
- the opportunity for the Australian Parliament to disallow a proposed accreditation
- accreditation agreement by the Commonwealth Environment Minister
- escalation processes to resolve disputes between the Commonwealth Environment Minister and the accredited party
- the Commonwealth Environment Minister’s unfettered right to make a decision
- scheduled formal review.